Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanks-winning

The Friday after Thanksgiving some of the boys were outside shooting guns...well pellet guns actually.

Then one of them [I'll let you guess which one] said,

"hey, we should have a biathlon"

and the other two said,

"ok"

[to be fair I wasn't actually there for that part, they were already in the "rules developement stage" when I arrived, but I'm guessing that is how it went.]

The rules were decided to be:

1. You have to run down the hill around the telephone pole and back twice.

2. Then you will shoot the pellet gun pistol 4 times at 4 targets. For each target you hit 20 seconds will be deducted off your time. You can shoot from any position, but must be at the designated spot.

3. After your 4 shots you run down around the telephone pole again.

4. I would choose a number between 1 and 20, the person who guessed the closest number got to choose their spot in the order.

5. I would keep the official time.

6. Ashleigh would encourage them to go faster.


Jake won the number. He chose to go last. Andy was next, he chose to go first, which left Steve to go 2nd.


It was quickly agreed upon that

"that telephone pole is a lot farther than it looks"

and

"maybe we should have only done 1 lap"

and

"you have to watch out for holes on the way down"

and

"that hill is way steeper than I thought"


The shooting also did not go so well -- they only hit 4 targets total.


finishing times:

1st place: Andy - time 2:48 -- hit 2 targets for a final time of 2:08

2nd place: Steve - time 2: 52 -- hit 1 target for a final time of 2:32

3rd place: Jake - time 2:53 -- hit 1 target for a final time of 2:33


Ashleigh kindly improvised a, what I can only assume was a previously unheard version of the state song of Minnesota for Andy as he topped the podium.

I'd like to wrap up this article with a quote from an eye witness, my dad, who happened to glance out of his shop window mid competition.

"I looked out the window and there was Andy with his shirt off and Jake was taking off barreling down the hill."

I think it really paints the picture for those who weren't able to witness it first hand:

No comments: