Thursday, January 9, 2014

I go to college: child of the year

So I was just chatting with a student about his Christmas break when he told me about the best thing I've ever heard and suddenly made me think all of our (mine and my cousins') parents totally failed us.

Each year on New Years Eve, he gathers with his family and cousins to celebrate and to have a new year.  Throughout the evening all the "adults" as in, the grandparents, aunts and uncles, each drop a slip of paper in "the jar" with a single name on it.  This name represents the "child" they feel deserves the title "child of the year".  At 11 PM (he's from the midwest) they watch the NYC ball drop and at 11:01 it happens.  The jar is emptied and votes are tallied....and the person (or persons, if a tie) with the most votes is crowned child of the year.  Complete with an ACTUAL TROPHY, that even has the names of past year's winners ENGRAVED on the back.  The fame of this tradition has grown to the point where even people in town inquire as to who won!

This is awesome.  I mean, pitting teenagers and young adults against each other?? singling one of the "grandchildren" out to be the best of the year?  Um, yes. I feel like my family would have been especially good at this!  Even if I never won, ....the anticipation, the trash talking....the exuberant, annoying, yet amusing, gloating of the winner and the non-winners vows of revenge and sabotage.  Pure. Golden. Awesomeness.

Thanks for nothing, family.

So sad to think of what could have been...

***disclaimer -- it was mentioned that participation wasn't allowed to those of a young age...it was recommended that those in their teen years and above only be allowed to participate to mitigate the risk of truly crushing someone's spirit or causing psychological trauma.

1 comment:

Lori said...

That is pure awesomeness.